Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ahhhh...It's Not About Me, It's About Her

Haiden THRILLED to meet Cindi and Snowy

So, you have a child and you have ideas about things. I did not want Haiden to wear all pink. I wanted her to be able to be comfortable and active in whatever she wore. I never wanted to catch myself saying, "Don't run in your dress." I just didn't want to raise her to be a girly girl.

What is that anyway? Really, Wayne and I created Haiden, she is our daughter. I thought, I am not going to raise a sissy. I am not going to put her in pink frilly dresses, etc. etc. Well, she did come from me, but she is not "mine." She is our daughter, but she is her own unique person.

It was a wonderful realization when I bought her the sparkly, pink, frilly dresses that she would love it. She did. SHE would love it. That is what matters. Just because we have children does not mean we should not honor who they are. Haiden loves to run around and jump in mud and she likes to dress up, carry a purse and wear a tiara. That is wonderful, that is Haiden.

Haiden asking Snow White a few questions...

We had a great time at the princess party we took her too. She was smiling ear to ear the whole day. She was SO happy to meet Snow White and Cinderella. Sure, she was wearing a beautiful, pink, frilly dress, but she was still Haiden.

Haiden and her Daddy, building memories...


My favorite part of the day is when my inquisitive child asked Snow White and Cinderella about their stories. She asked Cinderella, "Are you still with Prince Charming?" "Are your stepsisters nice now?" and she asked Snow White, "Why did you eat the poison apple anyway?" It was so wonderful to watch the other little girls listen to the "big girl princesses" every word. I am sure the college students who were dressed as Snow White and Cinderella had no idea they would be quizzed! They did a great job answering the questions. It was a quality event put on by a hospitality class at MSU.


Haiden asking Cinderella a few questions-with the other princesses listening intently!

Watching Haiden have true curiosity about Cinderella and Snow White was fantastic, it was critical thinking at its best! I am so proud to honor who Haiden is and who she is becoming. All of the preconceived things I worried about were before I had the realization that this little lady was one of a kind. I look forward to honoring who she is for the rest of her life. She is only three now...so the best is yet to come on this-lord help me when she is a teen!

No comments: