Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Go Green or Go Home!


What I am contemplating today...

When you follow your husband's military career for 11 years, your resume looks schizophrenic.
A Master's Degree in Counseling: The degree you pay the most for the least return. That is right folks...it doesn't pay much money working for nonprofits.

So, what to do?

A. Find a nice stable job that pays more, Or
B. Do what I feel passionately about

For 11 years I have chosen B. Now, I have a child, I am staying put in one state, there are simply more things to consider. Is there a way to get A and B? I, being the ever optimist, say "Yes!" I could work at MSU with students using all of my rapport building, assessment, people and detail oriented skills to kick some major tail. The problem: the schizophrenic resume.

Many feel to work at MSU, you must first work at MSU. Hmmm, not much attrition there. Having done career counseling in one of my many traveling careers, I am telling myself what I would tell others. Network. Look for a mentor. Navigate through the system. Alas, I am following my own advice. I have begun the trek and have found the people I have met with to be simply fabulous. I am networking, taking notes, setting up meetings. I am marketing myself. What will the pay off be?

Today, I am following the law of attraction. I am putting out in the universe that I will work at MSU and be an asset to the University I bleed green for as well as make a positive impact on the students. As a first generation woman that completed college in my family and the first person to receive a Master's Degree, I know anything can be done. I value education. I understand the need to have passionate and capable people work toward promoting life altering decisions at a prime point in student's brain-and life development. I just want MSU to see the drive and follow through behind my goal. After all, it's just not the Jaim without me!

No comments: