Friday, July 18, 2008

Sometimes, You Get What You Pay For


I was with my two girls at water aerobics at the YMCA in Haslett on Wednesday. We were working out, catching up and chat, chat, chatting. I was watching the people around...the children that seem to be there doing family swim with no adult with them, the manic splasher that was lane swimming RIGHT behind me (nice view underwater I am sure. I had no view since the splashed water blinded me.), the early 20's lifeguard that looked so passive and bored, the others in class-buzzing with chatter in their little hives. Just a typical day at the Y.


Then, like a sleeping dog snaps to when he hears a squirrel, this young, previously passive, life guard has what I believe was the most exciting two minutes of his week. The instructor overheard a lady in class question if that was lightening outside. The instructor saw it and directed the lifeguard to check it out. He charged over to the window and verified lightening and jumped into action. He blew his whistle like a ref with a game determining call and proceeded to VERY ASSERTIVELY state, "Everyone out of the pool! It is not safe. EVERYONE OUT OF THE POOL." He moved faster and more assertively than his demeanor had suggested possible. We all proceeded to move out of the pool. Our instructor told us we had to get out because, "there are pipes under the pool that are not grounded and if lightening strikes we will all turn to goo." That is right folks, goo. Hmmm...I thought. "why don't they ground it?" I asked the instructor. "I don't know, but if you are at the Mac, you can stay in the pool. It is grounded." she answered.


OK, so I paused to ask myself a few questions (out of the pool of course). 1. What if no one had seen the lightening? 2. What if there were no windows at the pool? 3. Are they aware that in Michigan the weather changes on a dime...? 4. Do you get what you pay for? 5. Should safety be more accessible for those who pay more? In the end, I am not goo...and that life guard had 2 minutes of adrenaline filled action. I was actually impressed. At lease he has it in him to jump out of his stoned-like state if I were to nearly drown. I wonder if he does rescue people or if you have to pay more for that? :)


Oh, the instructor told us we are not supposed to shower either. I took my chances...she did too as well as everyone else in class. Should that be posted somewhere? I wonder if the Mac has signs? Signed, the gooless Jaim

2 comments:

ab said...

Mmmm... warm goo.

CFreaky said...

It was a thrilling end to water aerobics class, I will admit. But it really makes me want to check out the building plans for the pool with some of my architect friends :)