Monday, July 28, 2008

Don't Feed Your Cell Phone to the Ducks


Cell phones just freak me out. I mean, I have one. What if I didn't? Well, I am guessing no one would ever talk to me--and you can't text on land lines, bummer. I work with teens and they may not have money for the bus, but they have a cell phone to call me and tell me they can't come to their appointment because they don't have money for the bus. Cell phones are a sign of status to some, a necessity to others and plain convenience for the rest of us. Take my husband for example. He would go to the store to get three things and come home with five. However, one of the three he went for, he would forget. Now, he just calls me and says, "what else was I going to get?" There. Convenience.


OK, all that just to mention that Wayne is feeling cut off today. Why? Thanks for asking! Did he forget his cell phone? Well...we went on a family outing to MSU on Sunday. We thought it was a good day to go to the Red Cedar River to feed the ducks. Haiden loves it. So, Wayne went to sit on the edge to hold Haiden so she wouldn't fall in, plop. Yep. His cell phone fell out of his sweatshirt pocket and into the river. We both looked at it-like dear in headlights. Wayne blurted an expletive and I just froze. There is was...Haiden's picture was lit and displayed on the bottom of the Red Cedar River. "Are you going to get it?" I asked. He took his sandals off and hopped in to retrieve it. It no longer glowed. It was kaput! We tried drying it out, trading batteries, but nothing. It was gone. Now, Wayne is awaiting a refurbished phone via mail. Don't worry, not all was lost. The memory card allowed Wayne to get all of the pictures and video clips off. Even the picture of me, miserable in labor, all bloated with a washcloth on my head. Hmmmmm....I wouldn't have minded if THAT had been lost.


Lesson: Don't wear a sweatshirt on 80 degree days (what was he doing wearing a sweatshirt on Sunday anyway?), and if you are silly enough to do so, don't put anything of value in the pockets and lean over water. I hope this fabulous piece of advice helps you out someday. Seriously, the first company to make a water resistant cell phone will be genius--and loaded. Come on, we all know someone who's phone fell in the toilet, or the Red Cedar River-same difference.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Blaine just got a water proof phone! After dropping it in water at home once and jumping in a pool with his old phone in his pocket, he thought it was a good idea! On both of those occasions, he was able to dry it out and it worked. The new one is from Verizon, but I know he told me it was on backorder for awhile.

Wishful Ink said...

I wish I would have known this! Ah, the next phones we get will be waterproof! Too funny, Blaine did it twice. Wayne will feel better having the company! J

Wayne said...

Ha, Ha, Ha. The Shrink's view is pretty funny on this one (and accurate in retelling the events). For the record, it wasn't 80 in the morning :). I do appreciate knowing I am not the only person to do this.

Waterproof phones? Really? I've heard they have some you can drop without them breaking, but waterproof is definitely worth looking into. Not just for rivers, but toilets too!