Sunday, August 10, 2008

An All American Weekend...



Haiden at the beach


I am so thrilled to have revisited some of my best childhood memories and have shared it with my family this weekend. My mom (Linda), myself, my husband (Wayne), his mother (Linda), our daughter (Haiden) and my niece (Desarae) went to Grand Haven for the weekend. The beach house we stayed in belongs to my Great Aunt Sally and Great Uncle Wayne. I was there as a child with Tina, one of their Grandchildren was exactly my age and we got along quite well. Many memories came flooding back. There are four bedrooms with thin walls an no ceilings. When my mom coughed in the bedroom next to us, I had to double check she was not in my bed. It is a very unique and homey experience--not unlike something you might see in the movies.


Great Uncle Wayne and Great Aunt Sally

Aunt Sally and Uncle Wayne are the type of couple that you see holding hands and walking on the beach-STILL at 79 and 80 years old. They have had this beach house since 1963. It has private beach access and beautiful views of Lake Michigan. It was built in the 1920's and they are the second owners. It came furnished...and still has some of the most unique pieces you can imagine. Then, add my Aunt's eclectic collection of antiques, knickknacks and beach themed paraphernalia....along with decades of children's, grand children's and great grand children's gifts and voila! Believe it or not, it is minimalistic and full all at once. My two year old daughter fell in love with an antique wood carving of an old sea captain that my Uncle says reminds us to respect the lake. She was also AMAZED with the singing fish on the wall that sang Don't Worry Be Happy and Take Me To the River! It did not have a volume control...I am sure my Great Aunt and Uncle were for once, thankful that their hearing isn't as good as it used to be.


Desarae on the end of the Pier at the public beach after a walk from Fortino's

(she got a dollar to spend on candy at the historic candy store from her Great Great Aunt Sally)

They are the ultimate hosts. Friday night we were joined by my fourth cousin, Justice. She is really one of the most exquisite 13 year olds I have ever met. She has a special quality that is just compelling. She met us at the bottom of the stairs when we arrived to greet us and help us carry our things up the seventy some steps, she read a 500 page book in one day, helped Aunt Sally and Uncle Wayne the whole day and joined us down the one hundred and one steps down the stairs to the lake, again carrying things to help us. She even admitted to "not even miss my myspace" when she was at the lake. She even stayed on an air mattress so the rest of us could have our own rooms...Did I mention she was 13? She already has college plans and speaks so eloquently. I am so proud of her. Last time I saw her she was 2 at our wedding-time flies.



Justice and I at the lake house


Back to Aunt Sally and Uncle Wayne, they prepared and cooked meals, provided fabulous and spirited discussions about the history of the lake and I was able to reminisce about my late Grandmother. My Grandma Warner was one of the most fabulous women you could imagine. I miss her every day. Sadly and suddenly, she left us in December 1997 at age 70 with no known previous health problems. My Great Aunt Sally was her sister and best friend. So, in spending time with her, I could not stop thinking of my Grandma and feeling her presence around me. We talked about her and remembered her in a way that I haven't done in a while. There were some tears and more insight from my Aunt than I can ever thank her for.

For all of their hospitality, Wayne and I insisted in taking them out to dinner, so they picked their favorite restaurant, the Billandmar Restaurant. Now, Aunt Sally and Uncle Wayne only go out to eat once a year, on their anniversary, so they were so thrilled. They are getting ready to celebrate their 57th wedding anniversary later this month. We all can't be as lucky as they are, but I am telling you, I am insanely respectful and I am feel truly blessed to have had the chance to spend some time with them. My Uncle Wayne said, "I can't believe this" as all eight of us were piled in our van on our way to dinner. "What?" I asked. "That someone is treating us!" This was hard for me to understand. I am sure they don't make it easy for others to treat them, they are the ultimate treaters. So, it was our pleasure to see them in this role. They ordered drinks, dinner and we sat at the window looking out at the lake and all the beauty and power it holds.



At the Billandmar for dinner

On Friday night, there we all were, huddled around an old TV set with rabbit ears, watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. Four generations of family up to 5th cousins, ranging from two to 80, watching in awe while listening to the waves crash in the background as the wind blew through the house. It was like stepping back in time to a simple and pure moment (vodka tonics and wine included).



There is something about the water and nature that resets your brain. This was the case for me. I look forward to next summer when I check their calendars to see if they have a free weekend for us to book at the lake.

Wayne and Haiden at Lake Michigan


I am exhausted from all the steps, but giddy from all the love. Among the most precious moments were my daughter doing everything she could to avoid putting her feet in the sand (quite some balance), my niece talking to the lake and playing as if she was a dog, fetching sticks and all, my mom relaxing and smiling at her Grandchildren and my husband taking four trips to the car this morning as we said our goodbyes (seventy some steps -- each way!). My Great Aunt Sally sharing recipes with my Mother in Law and the multiple in unison "What(s)?" that were heard with two Wayne's and two Linda's in the mix!



Haiden balancing on me so her feet don't touch the sand



Thank you to the sunsets, the waves, the old sea captain and to my Great Aunt Sally and Great Uncle Wayne who embody the best America has to offer in work ethic, hospitality, spirit, fun and courage.

2 comments:

elfmom said...

What a wonderful picture you painted for us, sounds like you all had a very memorable time at the lake! Thanks for sharing it!

CFreaky said...

I'm jealous and envious that you still have your Great Aunt and Uncle around to spend time with!! And I'm happy for you at the same time - I'm glad you were able to reconnect and remember your Grandma so fondly. The pictures were spectacular!