Thursday, August 28, 2008

An Ode to Runs With Spatula (3 of 3)

I have a friend who has a fabulous blog, Runs With Spatula. She goes with her partner Corky, friends and family to some fabulous and some not so fabulous restaurants, food stands and fairs. Pretty much anywhere there is food to blog about, she goes. She gives great reviews and takes wonderful pictures. You should check out her blog. She also gives recipies and is herself a fabulous cook. There is a link to her blog on this page.

So, here is my attempt to do a foodie blog...An Ode to Runs With Spatula

Outside the Cheese Shop with my sandwich


Inside the cheese shop

Monday afternoon Anica and I went touring to fish town in Leland. I have heard about the famous Cheese Shop and it's magical sandwiches. Based on my flavor preferences Anica's recommendation to me was the Shipwreck. The Shipwreck is ham, cheddar, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and herb mayo on pretzel bread. A simple sandwich. A very tasty sandwich. Anica and I split the sandwich for a total of just over $5. The Cheese Shop also had a great variety of other sandwiches for any pallet as well as wine and cheese that went on and on. I would highly recommend taking a Cheese Shop sandwich and eat it right on the tables out on the water in Fish Town. My sources say, you must get the pretzel bread. It is what makes the sandwiches special. I thought the pretzel bread was great, I just took a small amount of the salt off of the top and then, perfection!


Half of a Shipwreck (minus a few bites...I almost forgot the picture!)

Onto dinner...


Monday night Anica treated me to one of our all time favorite dishes, pizza. We had a pizza topped with ham, pepperoni and mushrooms. It was from Dick's Pour House in Lake Lelanau. Dick's is one of those up north bars with dear heads and fish adorning the walls. The service was great. ESPECIALLY Adam and Keith. Sean, who was in the kitchen did a great job with the pizza. It was a great pizza and a large three topping pizza will run you $15 (14"). Dick's Pour House is a great place to grab a pizza (the best pizza in the county I hear) in Lelanau County and if Adam or Keith are working, make sure you tip them well.


There would be a picture of the pizza here...but well we ate it :)...use your imagination.


Tuesday after strolling the shops in Sutton's Bay we became hungry for lunch. We walked into Boone's Prime Time Pub where I had the most fabulous grilled chicken sandwich of my life. The chicken was moist and perfectly cooked. There was a small amount of teriyaki sauce on the breast which gave the chicken great flavor, it was served with chips-yet I chose to substitute fries. The fries were a great choice, because I would have been so jealous when Anica's came if I didn't order them! Anica ordered a burger topped with cheese, bacon and mushrooms. The coolest part of the burger is that it came with a full and fabulous condiment tray with mayonnaise, catsup, onions, regular and fancy mustard, some seasoning and something else that escapes me now. She said the burger was good. It was a large burger and they cooked it to her specifications. Our service was good and I would have gotten a great picture of the above mentioned fabulous condiment tray, but we were done with it and the tray was passed on...BUT, I did get this photo of me in the booth, if you look in the lower right hand corner you can see the tray. Very reasonable prices with lunch around $25.00 total.

I also got this picture...


Anica with her giant burger. My sandwich was gone already...but you can see how big her burger was as some of it fell out of the bun. She couldn't even finish it...I didn't have that problem with my chargrilled chicken sandwich.

After some time at another beach and some county touring, we were ready for dinner. We went to Northwest Grill in Sutton's Bay. It is a new restaurant owned by the same owner's as Boone's. The restaurants location is where Cafe' Bliss used to be if you know the area.
Northwest Grill was cute and cozy with an up north feel. A nice selection of favorites very reasonably priced. Anica had an organic peach daiquiri which was the most delicious drink I have tasted in quite some time. For dinner we both had dinner salads with mixed greens. Anica had prime rib, cooked rare to her specification with au jus accompanied by a baked potato with butter. It was so large she took some home for the next day. I had the fried prawns accompanied by a baked potato with butter and sour cream. The prawn's were cooked perfectly and accompanied by a Jagermeister barbecue sauce it sounds horrible, but was zippy and tasty. Although the prawn's were fried, the batter was light and not greasy. Both entrees were delicious and I would definitely recommend a stop by Northwest Grill. The entire meal was only $38.00 for the two of us.

Fried Prawns with baked potato


Anica with Kristen, our fabulous server who gave us A+ service even though we were at the end of her working a double shift. If you go in, ask for Kristen and tip this teacher-to-be well. She is from Flint and came to visit the county, fell in love with it an now calls it home.
PS note to: Runs with Spatula, what is a prawn? tasted like shrimp, what is the difference?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Bravo Jaimie...yes, prawns are shrimp! Is this the beginning of a long run of foodie entries? I have Corky and some friends trained now...they know not to take a bite of their lunch until I take a picture of it!