Friday, August 22, 2008

The Responsible Runaway


I will start by saying I am very privileged in my life. I have a family that I love, a unique cast of characters that keep me smiling that I call friends, an eleven year marriage, a job that makes an impact on some of our most at risk teen community members, active involvement with community organizations...exactly. I am blessed. I am also exhausted.

I firmly believe that to take care of anyone, my husband, my clients, my child, my family, I must first take care of myself. Lately, I have had some stress in my life, health issues, family issues, relationship issues, job issues, etc. that have frankly, tested me. They have added up. So, I am running away, responsibly.

Top Five Signs I Want (and Need) To Runaway

5. I had the urge to bite the head off of someone at work who I let get under my skin with their issues. I am known as a positive, rapport building, team member. This urge, although I did not act on it, was a sign, a sign of stress.

4. Being overly tired no matter how much sleep I got. Calling in sick and sleeping until 1pm. Sign of stress.

3. Skipping water aerobics to sit. I have been actively going since January, and I blew it off. Sign of stress.

2. I could cry at the drop of a hat. Sign of stress, oooooooooooor watching too much Oprah, but, since they have all been reruns, I deducted it was a sign of stress.

1. Walking out of the restaurant when I was having lunch with my husband because he had the nerve to talk with his mouth full (I asked him not to once already), a sign of stress...it was just a little piece of tortilla. I didn't look back and left him sitting there.

SO, this is what brings me to blog today. I decided on Thursday that I needed a get away. Something without anyone expecting anything of me. No husband, no fabulous child, just me. So, I was feeling impulsive. I am not insane though, so I put out some feelers, made some phone calls and by the end of Thursday, my last scheduled working day for the week, I had gotten approval to take the following week off. By the end of Thursday night, I had a room with a view booked for myself in Northern MI to reset, relax and reflect the following Monday and Tuesday. I am now looking forward to a week off filled with a few road trips, the first by myself the second with my family. A few days to do nothing but a Dr.'s check up and uh, that is it. I am looking forward to what I will forever more call - wait for it - wait for it - (insert sound effect here) PLANNED SPONTANEITY.

Again, I feel blessed that my husband was in full support of whatever I felt would be beneficial...and if you reread my number one reason for the responsible running away, you might not blame the man.

Cheers to the water, the wind and all that I will encounter on my adventure. I feel pretty euphoric just getting all my ducks in a row at work, cancelling the few clients that did want to meet next week (as it is the week before school, my client's want a break too.). I asked for what I wanted and needed. My boss was in full support, my husband in full support, my daughter well cared for and for me...some me time. I really don't think you can underestimate your own piece of mind, mental health, stress level, or whatever you want to call it. As a mental health professional. I am following the advice I would give anyone else! What helped me get this me time?

There is this lady known around Donkey and Kart as "the short lady." She will probably never read this because she self reports that her she lives a blog free life, but if she does, I hope she knows how much her calm, sense of humor and compassion have helped me to feel connected and grounded. She has helped me to make sense of my life by relating. A soul mate of sorts, a connection for sure.

There is another lady, we will give her a Native American second name, she will be called: Hugs with Heart. Hugs with Heart has sent emails, given hugs and brought a connection to my life that was defiantly missing. I think she will read this blog. She is a confident and strong woman, I hope she knows how much I appreciate her support. She is beyond a fabulous friend. She has said words to me that mean more than I can say. Funny emails, allowing me to be real with her and providing so much laughter that I just could just squeal with glee. WOW, what a stress relief a good laugh can be.

The third weird appreciation shout out that I seem to be doing--random! Goes to my family. My husband particularly. Anything in life that is worth it - takes work. A marriage that has fulfillment, fun, support and duration also has crazy days. It is getting through the crazy days and looking back at them with a laugh or a smile, or a lesson learned that make this relationship work for the long haul. I am so glad we have each other. My life is simply better with you in it.

How lucky I am to have: Wayne, Haiden, Leisa, Carrie, Felicity, Amy, Mom, Dad, Anica, Chip, Sheryl, Erin, Matt, Sammy, Will, Jake, Desarae, Grandpa, Grandma, Great Uncle Wayne, Great Aunt Sally, Nick, John, Michelle, Mona, Mark, Abby, MJ, Dave, Heather, Justin, Ryan, Aunt Kathy, Uncle Steve, Laurie, Amanda, Melissa, Mark, Dawn, Charlie, Katie, Michelle, Alyssa, Mike, Jim, Kathy, Kathy, Orion, Blaine, Chris, Liz, Jordanna, Myrna, Linda, Marty...(I am being played off stage from this Oscar speech now...) and the list goes on...Thanks.

1 comment:

CFreaky said...

Enjoy your planned spontenaiety (I feel like I so spelled that wrong) - you deserve it! I will eagerly await building our Mexicans together after Labor Day, and will be exicted to catch up with you, as I know we've both been missing out lately! I love you bunches!