Thursday, September 11, 2008

Conference Let Down

My husband's new job has sent him to conferences at wonderful hotels and in wonderful cities. He just spent a week in Philadelphia and while he was eating cheese steak and Rita's Italian Ice...I went to a conference of my own. Right here in Lansing, MI.

I went to the 7th Annual Substance Abuse Conference this Monday and Tuesday at the Lansing Center. As far as conferences go, it was mediocre at best. There were a few presenters that I could have listened to all day long, but the rest left me wondering...what was going on? I think I should submit to a conference someday. Certainly I could put something together that was better than much of what I heard. Many of the presenters were presenting in a hour and a half what they usually present in a day, or in two days...and they didn't modify the handouts. SO, when you go to a training and get the warm up and get through about 4 pages of a 12 page handout it leaves you....well, disappointed. I believe all of the presenters were experts in their field. It was a relatively inexpensive conference, but couldn't the presenters modify their materials for the time frames allotted? I don't know if they were paid or not, but come on! Alas, the answer was evidently no they could not modify for the time allotted. The food was the most horrible food I have had at a conference (and don't forget I have lived in four states). The eggs didn't even taste like eggs, the hash browns were mush and the lunch was so awful that the next day I was left with the Hmmmmm, what to do, what to do? feeling. The conference fee pays for meals, so do you stay and eat the mush, or try to wonder out on your own? A-HA! Right out the window of the Lansing Center was the Knight Cap. I asked one of my coworkers if she wanted to join me across the street. She quickly responded "YES!" she could not handle another conference meal. What a good choice. I have never been there and hear it is a great dinner place. It is a great lunch place too! Two of my coworkers had crab cake sandwich with chicken gumbo soup and they both raved about it. I had a good 'ol burger. Who knew a burger could taste SO good! Overall, it was nice to go to a conference for a few days and have a break from the everyday, but I don't ever wish to eat at the Lansing Center again. OH! I did have one good meal there. . . breakfast was from 730 - 830. When I arrived at 8 all the food was gone except Rice Crispies. Snap Crackle Pop! They were nice enough to find me some milk...and I must say it is a fine facility and the Lansing Center Staff were nice as well. Next time I go to a conference in town, I will shoot for the Kellogg Center! The food there is outstanding! Upon quickly reflecting on my last statement I ask, should I really decide on what conference I go to due to the food? LOL!

3 comments:

Sean said...

Oh yeah, I hear you. Lansing Center food is teh suck. I did a conference there in August and was underwhelmed, indeed. At least they put out spreads of pop and chips for us at the end of the day. While I also agree that the facility is quite nice for conferences and the human service is top-notch, they charge out the a** to provide Internet service.

And every one of those tablecloths costs $4.

Wishful Ink said...

You got chips. We got STALE popcorn...Yucko!

Unknown said...

Cheesesteaks? Rita's? And you made no mention of this last night? Can't tell you how jealous I am! You have no idea how tempted I am to find airfare to Philly just so I could eat a cheesesteak (or three) at Geno's and a cherry italian ice at Rita's...