Monday, September 1, 2008

Making the Rounds

It was a long weekend, the last weekend of summer, all of the things that make us Michiganians ponder the five or so months that we will be huddled up in our caves avoiding the flecks of white that will soon fall...yes sooner than we would like.
So, my second trip north this week was to make the rounds and see some of my dearest family members. My Grandpa W, my Grandma D, and my newest nephew. I also got to see Liz, my brother Chris, my pops, my mom and my niece.

Haiden, Wayne, Liz, Will, Mom, Gramps, Desi and Chris on the farm


I learned some things.


1. Cows MOO much louder than I thought.

My Grandpa W., Paris, MI is a life long farmer. Even though he had other professions and callings, paratrooper, prisoner of war, factory worker, father, husband and Grandfather he has always kept his roots. He has always farmed along with whatever he was doing, aside from his time in WWII. My Grandfather just called "Boooossss" and the bull came down with all of the other cows following. Haiden and my niece, Desi wanted to see them up close, so Grandpa called them down. Who knew cows were SO loud. I have been around and on farms my whole life, but this was new to me. Even Haiden's impression of a cow now has more personality and volume! I wonder if the different tones and volumes are communication like whales...hmmmm...



Desi feeding one of the loud MOOers that Grandpa called in.


2. The spunk in my jeans are strong.

My Grandma D., 91 now is so spunky. She has humor, wit and a smile and zest for life that is unforgettable. She lived alone up until earlier this year when she had a fall and nearly died. The rehab hospital wanted to keep her and said she was too weak to go home. Oh, she went home. My Aunt now stays with her to help her out a little. My Grandma D. met us for breakfast and didn't even need her walker. Her hair and make up were done and she was a trip as usual. How lucky I am to have her in my life.

Grandma (note: no walker), Haiden and I at breakfast.

3. Boys are different than girls!

Although this is not a new or unique observation, I was reminded of this. I saw my Brother, his partner Liz and their son William. Will is a boy. He is 17 months and never stops moving, one thing to the next, to the next. What a cutie. He flashes that smile and just charms you. What a doll. He has all of Liz's coloring and eyes and the rest is like a little Chris.


My brother Chris, me, Will, and Liz

Will- go, go, going...

4. My Mom is fabulous.

My Mom is a very dedicated Mother and Grandmother. She is a full time employee in a very demanding job and goes above and beyond the call of duty to do whatever she can to bring family together, to bring my brother's children up north to see him and to provide a welcoming and loving spirit. I appreciate her very much. Earlier today, she said, " I am becoming my mother." I was joking with her because she had one bite on her plate and said, " I just can't eat that last bite." She said my Grandmother used to say that all the time. So, she made the comment. She embodies all of the things about my Grandmother that made her so special. My Grandma would be proud and inspired at the Grandmother my mother is.

My fab Mom in green feeding the fish for Haiden to see and Wayne and Haiden looking at the fish...and a few random people that were at the fish pond.



I am writing today feeling loved and happy to have made the trip around up north and so happy that Wayne and Haiden are a part of my family that continue to allow me to count my blessings. What a team the three of us are. With all of the moving parts, hours on the road and people to see it could have just been rushed, but I savored every moment. Much thanks to them.

No comments: